Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Odd Girl Out

I am the odd girl out.

It begins around third grade, the differentiation between "popular" and "unpopular", "cool" and "uncool". Up until then you're allowed to be whatever you want to be and do whatever you want to do. But in third grade, it starts.

If you're privileged enough to be one of the cool kids, you don't notice the changes because for you there aren't any changes. Suddenly there's someone new to be mean to, maybe, if you're so inclined. That's all. But the outcasts and the oddballs are in a perfect position to observe the social tide. And you'd better believe we noticed the difference. All of our friends may have turned against us, unless we had none to begin with.

I was one of the uncool kids, in third grade, and my friends were quite emphatically not. They drifted away slowly, and I don't think I really noticed it until I approached one of them one day, and one of the girls I had always classified as "nasty" asked me smarmily, "Who said you could come here?" And it was all over.

We moved many times, and many times I changed schools. But it was always the same; I was an outcast because I liked dragons, or because I read voraciously outside of school, or for any number of other silly, frivolous reasons. I like to think that this made me a fierce individualist, as indeed it has, but it went quite a ways toward undermining my self-esteem and turning me into, well...the one who squeaks and runs away.

And this is the result of endless bullying from which there is no feasible escape.

You ask me why people bully others. I'll tell you: it's because it makes them feel better about themselves. Yes, it really is; your parents are correct for once. Something causes someone to feel bad about his or herself, and they take it out on someone else because it makes them feel better. Sometimes it becomes a habit. And there is another key here: all of the bullied must thereby also be a bully to someone at some point.

Yes, I've done this, although I am far from proud. I can be very, very nasty when I put my mind to it, when I think someone deserves it. And if I regret it afterward, does that make it okay somehow? It does not. Bullying is a vicious cycle. Many bullies were once bullied themselves.

And the only way to escape the cycle is to refuse to let yourself be affected. Very few people can manage that. But eventually, perhaps, enough of them will change things for the better.

3 comments:

  1. Constance-

    I found this post very insightful. Bullying (and many other of the world's ills) are cyclical.

    My questions to you would be:

    How does ASTI compare with the other schools you've experienced? I realize you have only had 2.5 weeks to observe the school culture but I'm curious to know your thouhgts.

    How do people who have been bullied learn to trust again? For those who have experienced social trauma and now feel cast out, is there hope for future friendship and an open mind toward 'the group?' If so, how?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ASTI is...so far, a lot better than most other schools I've been in. I personally prefer small schools because they are less intimidating in general and it's easier to talk to people who you see all day--but then, that's just me.

    Ah, learning to trust again--the fun part. That varies depending on what schools the bullied person ends up at, and the people s/he encounters. I can really only give you my own experience, which is that after this amount of time I tend to expect people to automatically dislike me, and therefore the learning to trust is taking a while. It generally takes a lot of accepting people, which middle school doesn't exactly have in abundance.

    It is possible to keep an open mind toward 'the group', although it becomes considerably more difficult after years of being an automatic outcast. I'm not really sure how it works; for me it mainly consists of a series of mental reminders that Person X isn't necessarily a [derogatory term for fatherless child] and that s/he doesn't necessarily despise me and all that I do. It's a long and rough road, but at the end of it lies self-confidence and the ability to form friendships.

    I'm not actually sure if I answered your questions, but there you go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I responded to your pooooost. http://writingupside-down.blogspot.com/2010/08/quotes-lot.html

    ReplyDelete